- Trained with Grandmaster Wong Shun Leung for 13 yeras, six of it being GM Wong's personal assistant instructor
- Undefeated Hong Kong Freestyle Kickboxing Champion in 1978
- President of the Hong Kong Ving Tsun Athletic Association in 1991
- Recipient of the World Ving Tsun Athletic Association - Sifu of the Year award (2006)
- Recipient of the Ving Tsum Museum Hall of Fame award (2011)
- Recognized by the Wong Shun Leung Student Association in Hong Kong as a 1st generation student (Lifetime member)
Sifu Gary Lam first began his martial art journey in 1967, where he started his training under the tutelage of Master Lok Yiu. After two years of training, Sifu Lam felt extremely confident in his abilities and decided to challenge (and defeat) one of Wong Shun Leung's students. The student was impressed with Sifu Lam, inviting him back to Wong's school to test his skills further. It was here when Sifu Lam's martial art journey would change forever.
He was quickly humbled by the skill level of grand master Wong Shun Leung's students, so he decided to join the school and began his path